...ready for action !

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shim's first country trial..Bunbury and Districts Dog Club.
I was pleased in particular with her NJ run, even though it was a DQ (my fault, should have held the wrap cue for longer). It was a very hard course (too hard for novice in my opinion, and there were ZERO qualifiers), and she isn't the most confident girl in the ring at this stage, but she tried very hard in this run AND on most of the jumps her back legs are extended! Perhaps all my work with her hips is starting to pay off..
She won NA by over 9 seconds (to a quick kelpie).Was NOT pleased with her dog walk, I thought she had just jumped when running, but Karen kindly sent me a slow-mo clip of what she did, and although she did jump a bit, most of the problem was caused by her head coming up to look at me. Lesson learnt there, drive hard!
No vids of Terra, she couldnt keep a bar up to save her life! (Well she knocked 1 in each run anyway..)
Thanks to Karen again for videoing and editing Shim's vids.



2 comments:

  1. Would you please be able to expand on, "AND on most of the jumps her back legs are extended! Perhaps all my work with her hips is starting to pay off.. "

    My leggy BC girl tends to prefer jumping with her legs tucked under her. Doesn't seem to matter the height or speed. She's a very flexible, gumby-like dog and I don't feel she has issues with her hips. I do feel that her back is fairly tight, though. At any rate, I'm curious to know how you've addressed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is for Karissa (?)- the question seems to have disappeared. In answer to your question about back leg extension, in a confident dog that is moving forward in a straight line, ideally the back legs should be extended out over the bars. This is the most efficient and quickest way to move/jump. Tucking the back legs up over the bar (ie not basculing) is not as efficient or fast and some times can indicate a physical problem with jumping (as in Shimmer's case). I have been doing lots of exercises, stretching, rehab etc, to try and get her as strong as possible in the back end to compensate for her HD.

    ReplyDelete